I'm not advocating to prefer either inhouse or outsource, its a personal
decission.

But, it is important to understand that the cost to deliver Email services is
not the primary variable to consider to make the decision to inhouse or
outsource.

The primary variable is who a WISP wants to let have access to their Clients.
Email is the number one way to easilly address one's client base.
Its worth far more than .35 per user, to keep my customer's eyeballs and ears.

Just because I host inhouse Email does not mean I can keep my customer's
eyeballs, GMail is tough competitions. But for me, its worth trying,
considering I have the capabilty to have their ears with a live support person,
and Google only has the option for Eyeballs since it is mostly web support. Not
to mention, I already have a sunk pre-existing investment in Email server
software and hardware. But I'm pretty certain it costs me more to host my own
Email than it would to outsource.  I dont do it to save money, that is for sure.

The question to ask yourself is.... Do you want to be your customer's support
person? There can be many benefits to being that, if a WISP takes advantage of
that opportunity. I observe the bigger problem is that WISPs dont take
advantage of the opportiunity for what ever reason.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband