The disadvantage of 5.8, is that you never know what you are gonna get until
its up in the air, because you dont know the noise floor you'll see.

The advantage of millimenter wave (I consider 24Ghz millimeter wave) is that
the beam width is extremely narrow, and few people use it because of the
distance limit, and difficulty to mount stationary. As well, it only allows low
power ptp for everyone using the band, so you never have some unexpected high
power PTP link or wide beam PtMP showing up to cause you interference like in
5.8G. So its often considered inteference-free, allthough it is possible to get
interference. In general you can expect to get full radio speed. Millimeter
wave can go far, out in the dry desert. But in high rain zones, it does not. I
never recommend over 2 miles with 24Ghz and 2ft dishes in Mid East coast rain
zones.  For 20km and high capacity, I'd still suggest Licensed, since licensed
gear is getting more affordable every day, and there again, you get full radio
speed, because you know the noise floor and link budget in advance.

With UBNT MIMO (dual pol) and 20Mhz channels, 5.8G, and a noise free channel,
2ft dish, you can get as much as 80mbps HDX.
But I never count on more than 40mbps HDX, until after I know the noise floor
for the link, considering typical noise floors I often see in my areas.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband