Yeah, I am sure there is a huge amount of data transferred in the wake
up command.
The handsets go into a sleep mode to give max battery life. The ring
command is probably just all 0's or all 1's like the old frame relay
connections use to tell the other end to loop back.
The actual talk data is only 32k or so both ways 1/2 duplex.
Multi line phones would need to get a lot of info from the base about
what is about to happen, what lights to lite up etc.

I have looked at cordless phones on a spectrum analyzer and the are way
Spread spectrum, not really a channelized thing. No big power spike but
a very low and wide waveform.

Definitly go for the DECT.