At 1/26/2012 10:22 PM, Travis wrote:
>This is the reason that AT&T costs more and Windstream (which I have
>never heard of until this message) is cheap. You get what you pay for...
>a company with real tech support and engineers that know what they are
>doing and get it done, and some "other" company that doesn't. :)

Windstream's a huge operation, but they have grown so fast, purely by
acquisition, that they may be over their heads.

Windstream is basically a rural ILEC chain, the former Alltel's
wireline side, when the wireless side was split off (and kept the
Alltel name until VZW bought them).  They've also acquired, along the
way, Valor (some ex-GTE properties in the Southwest), Alliant
(Lincoln Tel), VZ's ex-GTE properties in Kentucky and elsewhere, Iowa
Tel, and probably some smaller pieces.  Then they went on a CLEC
binge, picking up KDL, Nuvox, some smaller pieces, and just recently
Paetec (itself a roll-up).

Most of their business is just dial tone.  Some of the subsidiaries
had some decent Internet, but it's the exception.  And you can
imagine what their Operational Support Systems must look like after
all of those disjoint acquisitions.

But I have no idea why they can't just accept a BGP
advertisement.  Routing in the telephone world is done via manual
intervention.  They seem to think that the IP block is like an
NPA-NXX code.  Weird.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/