Thanks Matt!

Yeah, the outlet itself is on a post next to the tower foundation and a
dropcord feeds into a NEMA box mounted on the tower (no shack).  We have a
few sites set up like this, and I think I'm going to hardwire everything
before we get much further into lightning season.

Since posting, I spoke with an electrician who has done some other work for
us, and he also suggested yanking the GFCI.

I don't know why this was installed this way.  I'm thinking that the
electrician who did the original work was thinking more residential than
industrial.  I'll leave the GFCI outlet in place as a convenience outlet to
provide the extra protection when we're out there working.

-Troy