GFCIs…you can’t live with them and can’t live without them.

A real problem is that they wear out…something that isn’t well known.  Old
GFCIs may pop prematurely or fail to pop.  TEST THEM YEARLY!

About the hair dryer in the bathtub…assuming the water is ground, I can’t
imagine that exactly the same current from the “hot” side will 100% flow
back on the neutral because, if it isn’t, the thing will pop.

What am I missing about the bridge and the sensitivity?

I had my sister have all her old house sockets (at least the head of a
string) equipped with GFCIs.  I took a cheap tester to her house and
almost 50% of the AC sockets were wired wrong so they needed fixing, too.
Many had grounded outlets that had no ground, and ½ had the pins
backwards!  I guess the folks who sold them the house in 1985 did a
band-aid job.

If you have customers with older houses and old GFCIs supplying their
modem/router, you should encourage them to test and replace before calling
you.

Anyway, every time my sister had a thunderstorm, the office GFCI would
pop…probably because the computer was grounded through the cable router
and cable modem.  The socket was behind a very large, heavy bookcase.  I’m
proud of her, because, by the second time, she got a drill with a ¾” bit
and put a hole in the backboard to allow pushing the reset with a pencil
eraser.  Hence, my recommendation to have your customers understand this
since the GFCI that runs your service is the most likely to pop in a
thunderstorm.

. . . j o n a t h a n

  _____