From: "Fred Goldstein" <fgoldst...@ionary.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:35:53 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ubiquiti Radios as routers

At 10/11/2012 06:52 PM, SamT wrote:

Not sure I under stand the no-NAT, so every device on the other side of the CPE
has it's own public IP?
There could be one NAT, at the access point.

My taste, which to be sure I haven't tested at scale in a wireless network (but
plan to), is to follow what is becoming standard wireline practice and do
switching, not bridging, at "layer 2". Routing would then be lumped into one
place, making it easier to manage.

The problem with small Linux-based systems (this includes both UBNT and MT) is
that they don't tend to have switching documented or set up in the UI, even if
it's possible. Bridging is bad -- it was designed for orange hose Ethernet, and
it passes broadcast traffic to everyone. We invented this at DEC in the 1980s
and discovered how it doesn't scale too well -- we had a couple of thousand
DECnet and IP nodes on a bridged LAN, and the background broadcast traffic
level was 400 kbps. This was a lot for systems to handle in 1991. I was testing
ISDN bridges and "discovered" how you can't just bridge that type of network
across a 56k connection. (I discovered the traffic when I first turned up the
bridge. I ended up isolating it behind a router, built from an old VAX. At DEC,
we built everything ouf of VAXen.)

Switching, though, is what Frame Relay and ATM do, and now Carrier Ethernet is
the big thing for fiber. It uses the VLAN tag to identify the virtual circuit;
the MAC addresses are just passed along. Since it's connection-oriented (via
the tag), it can have QoS assigned. I think it's theoretically possible to tag
user ports, route on tags and set QoS on RouterOS, but it's not obvious how to
do it all. Switching doesn't pass broadcast traffic; it provides more isolation
and privacy than plain routing. Mesh routing then works at that layer,
transparent to IP. It'll be "interesting" to set up.