We're having an issue with a 9000APC that is very strange.  Here is the
situation.  We have a remote water tank (stand pipe 75' high) that has a
few homes around it.  So, we have a 9000APC and a connectorized 2450AP on
the tower, both on Omni's.  The antennas are on a stand almost exactly 4'
apart.  There are six subs on the 900MHz radio.  About a month ago, I had
an issue where (after about 9 months) the signal to all of the customers
just faded out, to the point that only two subs were still good.  I swapped
the antenna and that did not help.  I swapped the radio, and that fixed the
problem.  Trouble is, it only lasted about three weeks, and the same thing
happened again.  I swapped the radio again yesterday, and today, I'm back
in the same boat.  The radio in the AP keeps going out.  I had the climbers
check the grounding, and we actually ran a dedicated ground yesterday off
the water tank.  My knee jerk feeling today is that maybe the radios are
too close together, and the 2450 is burning up the 900.  Could this be the
case?  Any ideas?

Here is an example of what happens.  Customers that run signals -47 to -57
become -70 to -75 and those who's signals were -70 and up fall clear off.
Swap the radio, and everything goes back to normal.  This is now three
radios that have gone, each lasting a much shorter time than the previous.
(this one did not make it 24 hours).

I can't completely rule out lightning - the tower is in a very wooded
area.  But usually you burn up the NIC in that case - not weaken the radio.

Thoughts?

Dave Hannum
New Era Broadband