That's why I said antenna. It happened frequently after changing the antenna.

--- On Thu, 6/13/13, David Hannum <oujas...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: David Hannum <oujas...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Strange problem with Canopy 9000APC
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:01 AM

Moisture is not an issue.  Good drip loops on both the antenna cable and CAT-5
Cables.  We actually sealed the entry of the radio with mastic to be sure.  The
first radio lasted about 10 months.  When it went, we first swapped antennas,
thinking maybe a lightning strike damaged it (we've had the same effect on
signal from bad antenna).  That did nothing to help, so we next swapped the
radio.  Signal back.  That lasted about four weeks.  Swapped radio again, and
signal back.  Lasted about 12 hours this time.

 No visible damage to any of the radios.  No moisture found inside.  We don't
have capability to test in-house.  Will send to SWG or Wireless Units to have
them take a look. Dave Hannum

New Era Broadband

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:

On 6/13/2013 7:43 AM, David Hannum wrote:

> We're having an issue with a 9000APC that is very strange.  Here is the

> situation.  We have a remote water tank (stand pipe 75' high) that has a

> few homes around it.  So, we have a 9000APC and a connectorized 2450AP

> on the tower, both on Omni's.  The antennas are on a stand almost

> exactly 4' apart.  There are six subs on the 900MHz radio.  About a

> month ago, I had an issue where (after about 9 months) the signal to all

> of the customers just faded out, to the point that only two subs were

> still good.  I swapped the antenna and that did not help.  I swapped the

> radio, and that fixed the problem.  Trouble is, it only lasted about

> three weeks, and the same thing happened again.  I swapped the radio

> again yesterday, and today, I'm back in the same boat.  The radio in the

> AP keeps going out.  I had the climbers check the grounding, and we

> actually ran a dedicated ground yesterday off the water tank.  My knee

> jerk feeling today is that maybe the radios are too close together, and

> the 2450 is burning up the 900.  Could this be the case?  Any ideas?

> Here is an example of what happens.  Customers that run signals -47 to

> -57 become -70 to -75 and those who's signals were -70 and up fall clear

> off.  Swap the radio, and everything goes back to normal.  This is now

> three radios that have gone, each lasting a much shorter time than the

> previous.  (this one did not make it 24 hours).

> I can't completely rule out lightning - the tower is in a very wooded

> area.  But usually you burn up the NIC in that case - not weaken the radio.

> Thoughts?

Interesting mystery!  Clearly you don't want to blow more radios this way.

Any more clues about what may have happened right before the failures?

I'm wondering about weather events.  Did it fail after a rain storm?

Water coming in to the radio or corroding the antenna connectors might

result.  And if the antenna's connector is flaky, re-attaching it to a

new radio might be a temporary fix, but reattaching it to an old radio

might "fix" it too (temporariy).  Have you examined the broken radios in

the shop?

--

  Fred R. Goldstein              fred "at" interisle.net

  Interisle Consulting Group

  +1 617 795 2701

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----