Heat source? We use a UPS. The enclosures are cold, but not as cold as the outside air and we have not had a problem using indoor rated Cisco switches (even in our recent -19 weather). We do use fans for cooling during other seasons. But, we have had fans die and open the box to discover an estimated 110-130 degree weather while the switches kept on humming along. Not recommended, but that has been our experience. In fact, I do not recall a single Cisco switch going bad at a tower site using this setup, just one or two ports. All these switches have been ebay buys.