Chris,
I cut my Witango ( Tango 3x ) teeth on FMP and Mac. It was a painful process
with lots of work around's to deal with FMP.

Since then I have worked with SQL as the backend and while I am still
earning all that the SQL engine can do I no longer fear loops or searches or
complex searches.

I am not real familiar with MySQL but more with SQL 2000. When I have to run
a complex search, update or insert I usually test it in the Query analyzer
1st and it gives me an idea of how long it will take and if there is
anything I can do with the tables themselves to speed the process.

I may be wrong but to the best of my knowledge WiTango opens a connection to
the DB once and keeps it open for the duration of the action. So the loop
does not create a new connection for every insert.

I often have found that with debug on it takes longer to write out the debug
with all the multiple loops than it does to do the action. Much longer. So
if you are trying to get an idea of the time it takes in an action with a
lots of loops I would set the loop counter for a small number 1st just to
make sure my loop works right. Then turn debug off and run it.

The difference in any SQL DB vs. FMP is astounding when you are pounding on
it with Witango so I found it was best to forget almost everything I learned
about those two and open my mind to the new possibilities.

Dan

--
Dan Stein
Digital Software Solutions