From: Eric Weidl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 7:14 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list witango-talk
Subject: RE: Witango-Talk: Credit Card Security

Hi,

A couple of specific comments:

>Unfortunately I have it on very good authority that the @CIPHER tag does
>not work as well as it should. Here is what Jess told me:
>
>"Unless somebody has changed something in the last
>year, all of Tango's <@CIPHER> stuff (besides the
>hash) is basically worthless for the purposes of
>security.

There may be some truth to that comment, but it is due to the nature of the
problem and not necessarily the @CIPHER tag itself. Yes, the BitRoll,
Caesar, and Rot13 types supported by @CIPHER are trivial encryption methods
and don't have a place in a production system.

>The one time pad actually isn't a one time pad at all,
>it's a rotation cipher, and on top of that it doesn't
>work properly...

OneTimePad is by definition a rotation cipher. It even says so right in the
manual. Criticizing it for being so is like complaining that a dog has fur.

The power of the OneTimePad is based in the keys and their management, not
the cipher algorithm itself. In a perfect world, OneTimePad is the most
secure encryption mechanism available. Why? Because, in a perfect world,
the keys are *NEVER* reused and never stored after use.

Obviously not storing keys is difficult in the real world, so in practice,
the OneTimePad falls far short of its theoretical performance.

As to your comment that it doesn't work properly, I've never heard or
experienced any issues with it.

Eric