Scott, I think you've stumbled upon something:

with the following example

-----------Whitespace code snippet---------

-----------End code snippiet---------------

no matter if I enter the data like this:

or like this:

or even this:

I always get back April 1, 2003.

Has anyone come up with a workaround?