I think the apache argument is a coke/pepsi ford/chevy mac/pc argument. They both perform better than neccessary and it is an academic choice. I can accept the fact that you are wrong. ;-)

As far as the differences in performance across platforms with Witango v5: It is true that v5 is a vast improvement in all areas, but there is a marked performance benefit with windows as the server platform over the mac, when CPUs and networks are relatively similar. Maybe Phil should chime in here. I spent many hours doing as much real world benchmarking as I could.

Understand, my goal was not to convince anyone that windows was better, but the opposite. I am a mac enthusiast, and wanted the mac to at least be equal, but it wasn't. I am sure it will get there.

Plus the cost is a huge factor. How long do you think the life of the server is? If I buy an XServe, I would want it in use for about 3 years. But technology advances to fast. Let's say I buy 2 XServes a 3K each (cheap), and two witango licenses for 1500ea. That is $9K. You may say only buy one, but I don't think that is a real solution. You must have redundancy in real world deployment, and the only way is with two servers. Now I can have the same setup on Windows 2000 Server for for about 5.5K, which includes rack mount servers, win2k licenses and the Witango licenses.

If we assume that Witango performs the same on both platforms, both setups serve the same amount of requests reliably.

One year passes by, our business has grown, and our servers have many times where they hover at 40 or so concurrent users each. Time to upgrade. On the XServe side, you still have a large investment in hardware, so you buy a third XServe, and another Witango license, and shell out $4500. Problem solved now hovers at about 20 concurrent users at peak. On the windows system, the hardware investment is almost nothing. So I buy a new motherboard and processor for each for about $800 total. Doubling performance. I also hover at 20 now.

I have done this 3 times. The reason I can lower my concurrent connections without adding a server is that the new hardware seriously outperforms the old, and the connections are opened and released much quicker. Witango loves more processor speed. It is not a compiled language, and must read through and interpret all those meta tags on the fly. Obviously, you must also keep your database screaming so that Witango never has to wait on a query.

IMHO, I don't want to have a large investment in hardware that is outdated in a year. My business has been growing at a good rate every year, and the windows setup has worked well for me. I am finally now at the point where I need to add more servers.

Robert.