Even if I do not have a (Mac) dog in this fight, I have to take issue with the way With and its representatives are dealing with this matter.

BTW: I own Tango 2000/SP1 for Windows, and I am not encouraging anybody to resort to piracy.
I cannot agree with With trying to exercise claims to previous versions of Tango and, at the same time, no longer supporting Tango.

The issue of knowing you have a vulnerability in the code to a product that you now own but do not offer a technical solution for a crucial feature is very troublesome. Forcing users to upgrade seems to me like blackmail. What choice do we have to keep our applications running?
The software manufacturer has some obligations too. I understand I am not entitled at additional features for free, but I definitely am entitled -for free- to corrections to the code for which I paid. After all, you are only required to correct you own mistakes. You do have access to the code to be corrected, don't you?
As far as I am concerned, Tango 2000 works fine for what I need, and I do not have to upgrade right now, nor do I have the money to spend. But I MUST make sure I am not having known vulnerabilities in the application. My business depends on it.

Now, installing a new upgrade in the production environment is not easy, making old code run takes time, effort etc.
Based on what I read on this list (and beyond the time needed to go through the required reading associated with the adoption of a new version), Witango v5 was not really a smooth sailing. There were problems reported, which required time and patience to make the new Witango version run. And if all this effort is understandable to reap the benefits of new additional features that one might need, it is a possible a waste of time if you do not need them.
So even if the upgrade was for free, I would always prefer a patch.
Am I stating the obvious? Providing free patches is standard business practice in the software world, isn't it?

The second point, even more important, is that you want people to contact you, "to work something out" (on a case by case basis). Why is that? Why don't we have a solution in the open, for everybody to know? I can only assume here that people would be offered different prices based on their negotiating skills. This it is totally unacceptable.

I am profoundly disappointed by With's lack of candor, understanding and support for their customers and, (at best) questionable selling tactics.
Developing (or inheriting) a good product to sell cannot be cover to poor corporate behavior. Sooner or later we'll drop the product.

Mike Bravu.

-----Original Message----- From: Phil Wade [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 1:21 AM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: Tango 2000 for Mac needed

OK it is now time for me to add my 2 cents worth.

1 ...

2 Supply of the Pervasive branded evaluation copy falls under the same
license issues as the full product and carries the same license with it. It has the same licensing issues, that my support team mentioned earlier, with PopCharts and Data Directs ODBC Manager and drivers. If it is the Mac OS 9 version, the installer is not even licensed to be distributed.

3 Migrating to Witango 5 provides you with several architectural benefits
in the server, but it also provides you with the ability to receive bug fixes into the future. The Witango 5 code will be maintained well after the v6 server is released this time next year. The Tango 2000 code was retired coming up to 3 years ago and will not have any fixes made to it. The T2K server has the cookie buffer overrun issue and there will not be a new release of T2K resolving this issue.

4   Work with us and we can work something out.  Go outside the channel and
our hands are tied.

5 Wayne, if you had contacted us we could have tried to work something out
as we have for many other T2K users during their migrations to Witango 5. You only work down the road, your in the same timezone and it is only a local call, so contact me and we can look at what you are trying to achieve and we can see what we can legally do to help you.

6 ...
Phil