As the originator of this thread I'm not sure whether I should be proud or
embarassed that these issues have come up and are using valuable brainwidth
(my new word) in this forum.

I started this thread because I had a problem that I needed to play with on
one machine whilst keeping another one fully functional. The process could
take an hour, it could take a month, but certainly wouldn't be any longer
than that. Unbeknown to me, I could simply do an unlicensed install an get
30 days out of my original installer. Problem solved.

I was a little taken aback when the response from 'Customer Service' read
more like a cease and desist letter with threats of domain banning. And
there was no mention of the solution to the problem (the trial period
install). That came later from Phil (thanks). I really would have expected
that at the beginning of the post from 'Customer Service' and it would have
made the 'Black Beard' references obsolete. Perhaps someone had a bad week.

Anyways, I personally don't hold With accountable for my problems with T2K.
We all know where they came from. Pervasive took a great product called T3
(hope I don't get any cease and desists from Schwarzenegger's camp now),
slapped on a load of features and just as many bugs and license restrictions
then hung the product out to dry.

I was very impressed when With picked up the ball. I don't know the details
but I expect the initial investment, plus the commitment it takes to
ressurrect a software product in theses climes would look scary to even the
most seasoned investment banker. Particularly considering the exchange rate
at the time (2 pacific pesos to the dollar). Holding With accountable for
Pervasive's sins is close to chutzpah.

I'm also happy that it wasn't picked up by the likes of Microsoft (no
examples required) or 4D. As a Mac user I also have several 4D WebStar
licenses. 4D have an upgrade policy that allows subscribers free updates
during their subscription period. Many users (me included) have not even
started rolling out WebStar V because the product has just had too many
problems. So finally 4 release a bug fix (5.3.0 -> 5.3.1) that brought the
product up to a useable state. No new features, just problems fixed. But
many of the original purchasers subscriptions have just expired. I don't
mind a subscription for feature upgrades but for a double dot bug fix? They
charge you for a product that doesn't work, then charge you a renewal for
one that actually does (hopefully).

I want to upgrade to WebStar V and WiTango V. I want With to profit from
this upgrade. I don't want to pirate anything. I don't want to break any
rules. But most importantly, I don't want to shell out my hardearned money
on a product that doesn't do what I need it to do so until I can
satifactorily test these products in my business environment I won't be
writing any cheques.

Wayne Irvine

                  Byte Services Pty Ltd
               http://www.byteserve.com.au/
                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Ph 02 9960 6099   Mob 0409 960 609   Fax 02 9960 6088