Generalising a little ... Well a lot ...

On a unix system (OS X, Linux, Solaris, etc) the scheduling is done via
process not threads so if you are wanting more CPU time for your application
you should run multiple processes.  Each process within its cpu time slice
will then schedule its own threads.

This differs to Windows 2000/2003 which schedules threads.  The only way to
get more cpu is to raise the priority of your process which in turn raises
the priority of the processes threads.

On unix I would suggest 2-5 processes per cpu running between 5-20 threads.
You will need to try different combinations with different loads depending
on your HW (CPU type, CPU speed, memory, etc) to be able to see which
combination allows you to support the maximum load.  Also move the db and
web server off the server running the witangod process as this will also
ensure that the web server and db are not competing for the same cpus.