What I mean is if you don't have to take the report parse it and manipulate
it on a moment to moment basses. If you need to periodically get the report
then move it into SQL tables or something like that then Filemaker will do a
good job for you and it is easy to manipulate the data once it is in there.
You can then use ODBC to move it into the SQL database with a single script.
Using a plug in like OZEvents I have even automated this process.

on 2/26/04 22:10, John Shaw at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is way off topic and not even web related, so stop reading if you don't
> want to waste your time on it.
>
> A legacy system, which I have no control over, provides a huge text file
> with about a hundred separate fixed-length batches.  The frustrating thing
> is that they could have combined into one file, but they divided it up and
> put the value that distinguishes each batch in a header.  So it has a
> heading, then a report, then a heading, etc.  The only way to do anything
> with the data is to extract the value from the header and then combine it
> with the subsequent rows.
>
> Does anyone know of a product that can extract data from a text file like
> that and put it in a useable form?
>
> Thanks.
> John

Dan Stein
Digital Software Solutions
799 Evergreen Circle
Telford PA 18969
Land: 215-799-0192
Mobile: 610-256-2843
Fax 413-410-9682
FMP, WiTango, EDI,SQL 2000
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.dss-db.com

    "When you are born, you cry and those who love you rejoice.  And if you
live your life as you should, when you die, you rejoice and those who
love you cry."