Hi Phil;
RE: Witango-Talk: Witango Version 6 - Community Update
Great stuff and should be a great boost to the Witango Community.
As a classic lurker on the List I am excited to see a common sense response
to the market.
-
I, like everyone else on the list have been staying up nights hatching my
own ideas on how WiTango licensing should evolve!
-
My thoughts - and I have wondered about this for a long time, is:
- I would like to see "Class Files included in the Lite Version"!
This will buy a wider usage of the product and users build markets!

To me this allows realistic Apps to be developed & demo'd and baits the trap
for growth to the many more advanced features in the full Professional
Version.

Why? Among other things;
 - I would like to be able to say to clients, Oh Yes any number of local
ISP's can run Witango Apps!
 - - I think it is quite doable if the Lite Version (assuming I understand
it correctly) was able to run Class files. It would make it fairly easy to
convince local ISP's & Educational institutions to install it and run it.

This seems doable if;
-
1) If it is stable enough, (I hear good things about this)
2) It came packaged for an ISP to install, (with some instructions on how to
setup some rules for multiple users running their own files {or own
instance})
- I believe many users would just use it for very simple little apps,
initially. (We/You have some very functional apps to include in the package)
- It is entirely reasonable to set expectations that fancier Apps would need
a more powerful server {and/or levels of support}. (No matter how much is
smoke and mirrors)
-
This strategy would drive users to work with the Development Studio and
hence build the Market, and bigger servers. (There are lots, of advance
features in the Professional version to attract up selling!)
- It might allow schools to set it up and provide it to their communities.

My own experience is that as Applications go into real development and/or
real time, Clients are happy to pay a reasonable amount for the server or
for support, or both (even if reoccurring). The MYSQL model is the classic
case here.
-
To re-iterate - I would like to see Class files included in a Lite Variant!

I am sure that you have thought about this in some version, but to me it
would be a good bang for the buck for buying a wider implementation in the
market.
Apologies, re: above, if your open source strategy will in fact take care
of, the above request.

Thanks for listening.
Mike

Michael R. M. Young