Webdude,

It isn't that hard, until you want to get to the finer points. I started first by installing MAMP on my mac. It installed just as advertised and I was able to get my feet wet on my laptop at my leisure.

Then I installed on an old 386 box, Ubuntu version of Linux. I downloaded it, made a DVD and boom, I was running. Again, as I recall Ubuntu had it all, installed with no problems and I was able to get php code I had written on the mac to work. I think Robert is using some version of Fedora. I don't know that is so great about it, but who cares when you are just learning and playing in the sandbox? I was able using Navicat to configure the MySQL db on the Linux box and PHP was also not a problem. I had one app that I had written in witango, and I mapped out the business logic on a piece of paper and decided how I thought it should work. I first got one page to work, an insert, then another, a select, and then another. an update, all one at a time. Then I learned about includes and variables. For me the variables were a bit of a challenge, both in setting them and using them in display as well as in updates and inserts. But I eventually got that going, one step at a time. If I had to do it again to day, I bet I would have to refresh my memory. It wasn't that intuitive for me. Help from the web, from Robert Garcia in a couple of short emails. A book suggestion from Ben, read more examples on the web and again, little by little got it working. I then put some CSS in to make it look right. That was good.

So a simple app, and little by little it worked. It ran on my mac laptop and it ran on the LAMP Server. Of course I didn't stress it, that wasn't the point. I proved to myself I could do it, and if I wanted to , I would just take it one step at a time, just like Witango went.

Now there are all kinds of PHP stuff that I am told are so cool, and free that I still don't have a clue how to implement. At some point, if I need to , I will slug through it. One thing that is nice, when you have a select page that works, you start the next one like that and it does go a bit faster. And at some point, it would be good to have a mentor who had the time to show you examples. It would go faster then. I remember how many people on the list did that for me and witango in the 1.0 days. Eric Weidl and I spent a week I think at one point at his office in near Chicago. I worked along side of him and he showed me all kinds of stuff. A huge help. I am sure you can find someone to help you that way. There are still nice guys around.

I never did the Zend thing. I downloaded it once when Robert told me to, but it was over my head so I took it off. I wasn't ready. At some point, I would like to learn about it since Ben and Robert rave about it.

The point is, that you can do it. I like the advice I got from Scott Cadillac. Pick a language and just take it one step at a time. The all have their strong points and week points. He went the .net route and has made a great living doing that. Robert and Ben have gone PHP and are making a good living doing that.

I think Witango has done more for you in learning a new language that you might think. There are lots of things you understand that you will be able to make connections with. Scott said there isn't a silver bullet as to which platform. I think he is right. IIS is easier to administer than Apache in some ways. but once you get Apache set up, it isn't that hard. Again a little help from someone and you will be amazed how you understand it.

Starting over again is refreshing, invigorating, keeps you young and is really quite satisfying. I think Robert Ben and the others who work with him, got a huge bang out of moving to LAMP. It was a step up for him in every way and I think it was very satisfying to take the challenge, solve the problems and make it work. And so it can be for you. In a few years, you will be really glad you read the tea leaves and covered your back side. Author Jim Ferrell said, "Children learn more from watching someone learn, than from watching someone teach." So go for it. Be bold. We are all watching eagerly and learning by watching you learn.

Mark Weiss
http://trustthechildren.blogspot.com