From: Mike Dimmick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:45 PM
To: David Thielen; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [WiX-users] Set firewall exception

OK, so I see that your port (1707) is registered with IANA, so you could
do
it by opening this port, although other applications could get a
surprise if
they are allocated this port by the OS. Presumably you're broadcasting
in
order to find a licensing server? As I recall, you don't need to open a
firewall exception if you don't bind your UDP socket to a particular
port
number - the firewall will then set up a short-duration dynamic rule to
allow responses. If your licensing server then connects back to the
add-in
over TCP (i.e. the add-in implements a TCP listener), then you do need
the
firewall exception.

However, I think this is a poor design: you should have the licensing
server
respond with a yes/no answer in a UDP packet sent to the client, or if
you
need a longer conversation than will fit in a single UDP packet, have
the
licensing server respond to the client with its address, then have the
client connect to the server over TCP (the server listening for
connections)
to proceed with the licensing handshake. Outbound connection requests
are
not filtered by Windows Firewall.

UDP gets a bit of a poor reputation, which isn't really deserved - for
small
amounts of data, where there won't be more than one packet's worth of
data
in response, it's fine. DNS is perfectly happy with UDP although it
supports
both for larger responses. Kerberos likewise supports both; you are
supposed
to use UDP for the initial ticket request. In LAN environments you can
use a
payload of up to around 1400 bytes (to allow for VPNs) - any more and
you
risk packet loss due to fragmentation.

If the client is broadcasting to find a licensing server, you
necessarily
require that the licensing server is present on the same subnet as the
clients. This might be a problem for some enterprises. Others may have
firewalls or NATs in between different parts of their networks; in the
case
of the NAT the server will not see the client's true IP address and will
be
unable to connect back to the client.

I realise this has drifted a long way from WiX, but I felt it was still
useful to have others' input.

--
Mike Dimmick
(maintainer of a UDP-based thin-client application server which really