I'm using some file keys in custom actions, for example
[#MyFile].  This was working fine until I broke the core wxs file up
into multiple files containing fragments for easier maintenance.  Since
I've done this the file references don't seem to be evaluating to
anything.  I get empty strings in the logs when I try to do the install.

        Is it not possible to use formatted strings to get the path of
file objects when the files are in a fragment?

Brian,

What version of WiX are you using? I am using version 3, and file keys
work for me with components in separate fragments. Is it possible you're
using deferred custom actions, in which those properties are no longer
available? See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/aa370543.aspx
for more information on what is available during a deferred CA.l

Cheers,

John