Hi Phil,

>I think you're forgetting that not all custom actions run inside the setup
>process (I assume you're referring to msiexec.exe). Custom actions can be
>external executables that run in their own process.

Well, at another abstraction of sight, they run in the setup process. ;-)

>I think you're reading this:

>http://robmensching.com/blog/archive/2007/04/19/Managed-Code-CustomActions-no-support-on-the-way-and-heres.aspx

>and assuming it applies to external managed code executables (Rob could
>clarify). The issue here is with managed code custom actions that run on
>msiexec.exe that "tattoo your process", to use that MSI team phrase, >because
>they are in an msiexec.exe  process. There's nothing wrong with an external
>managed code custom action executable that was explicitly designed for and can
>be configured to run with a specific version of the >framework.  For example,
>a custom action type 18 is fine as a managed code executable.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it is not recommended, cause of what is with
the setup, if no CLR is on the system. For me, that's is no problem, cause our
whole solution is a CLR project, but what about those out there, that have
native software, and wish only to use a managed custom action on install
(whoever think to need that combination ;-))

The first I read about WiX and managed custom actions was about that the CLR is
needed otherwise the setup won't run. That could be easily checked in the
conditions. The next point was, that the installer team mentioned a problem in
the CLR implementation, if one uses the 1.1 CLR and wishes directly after that
to use the 2.X CLR, he would get the already loaded 1.1 version. And that's why
managed custom actions are not officially supported by windows installer, cause
this behavior could lead to errors. For our solution this isn't a problem
either, we only use CLR 2.X for our whole project, including the custom
actions, which use some of our project code.

Sure, it is no problem, to run a managed custom action inside setup-process,
even those like we use here, but only if you know, what you're doing. Do not
try to use code for different CLR versions in one setup and check if the CLR is
installed correctly before. Additionally you'll have to sign your managed code,
otherwise it surely won't run on the target system.

Oliver