-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 11:22 AM
To: WiX Users
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Doing QFEs With WiX

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    "Jim Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes:

> Is there some way to define a QFE-like mechanism by using WiX?

Windows Installer addresses updates as patches, minor upgrades, or
major upgrades.  I recommend Phil Wilson's book "The Definitive Guide
to Windows Installer"
<http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Windows-Installer-Experts/dp/159
0592972/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4530032-5340737?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=11936819
48&sr=8-1>

He does a really good job of explaining how to update installed
products using any of these mechanisms (patches or upgrades) using
Windows Installer.

To create patches in WiX 2.0, you use WiX to define a patch creation
properties file with the PatchCreation element.  This file is then fed
to msimsp.exe (from the Windows Installer SDK) to create the .msp patch
file.  I believe WiX 3.0 has a different mechanism for creating .msp
files.

Minor upgrades can be distributed as patches (deltas) or as whole
distributions.

Major upgrades are distributed as whole distributions.
--
"The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 draft available for
download