John Hall wrote:

                It's an HKCU registry key that would have been created
for the user who installed the application, but obviously not the user
who is running. Is this the default behaviour for a key in HKCU even if
the feature is not advertised?

        Yes, for an advertised shortcut.

                Also, is this the expected behaviour? I thought that a
copy of the MSI was stored away in c:\Windows\Installer, so why is the
system not able to use that one rather than looking for the original
.msi file that the bootstrapper dropped into the temp directory.

        It does but something's requiring source. You can set the MSI
logging policy to get a verbose log when the repair is triggered.

Bob,

Thanks for that - I tracked it down to a component that just contains
some HKCU registry entries, and so now I understand what is happening.
This was triggering a repair install. The repair install was trying to
reinstall some files that were marked as companion files. It turns out
that I don't need to have them as companion files any more so I've
changed that and the install no longer prompts for the media and all is
well.

However, this installing per-user on demand could be quite useful. I
would like to install some files per-user as well as the registry
entries. How do I make sure the files that need to be installed are
available?

Currently, I have a bootstrapper that includes the .msi and .cab files
as resources - it drops them into the temp directory and then deletes
them again once the installation has completed. I tried including the
per-user files in their own cab file and embedding them in the .msi, but
this doesn't work.

Regards,
John