As per Rob's suggestion, here's a letter to the SQL team RE: the SQL
Express installer.
-------------
Dear SQL Server Team:

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition has become a platform that many
developers have come to count on in building applications. It provides a
flexible, redistributable database engine, suitable for the creation of
database applications.

One problem many developers face is in the deployment of their
solutions. Currently, there is no way to seamlessly integrate the setup
of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition into the setup of a developer's
application. The developer is forced to either install silently,
providing the user with no progress feedback during the installation;
install with minimal UI, which displays a non-integrated progress meter
for a suboptimal end user experience; or to force the user to install
SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as a separate install prerequisite. None
of these options are palatable for developers wishing to provide a
smooth, integrated installation experience for their users.

The .NET Framework redistributable had much the same problem until
version 3.0. Beginning with the 3.0 version, the framework bootstrapper
responds to an argument passed on the command line (the /progress
switch) which allows the developer to register for progress messages
transmitted back to his code via a named pipe. A whitepaper describing
how developers can take advantage of their approach is available on the
MSDN website (found at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa663365.aspx at the time of
this writing). Implementing a similar solution for the SQL Server
Express Edition installer would go a long way toward helping developers
who need to use the product, but would like to present their users with
a custom setup UI.

Looking toward the future, the WiX toolset is looking to add a custom
bootstrapper in a future version. Without a progress reporting solution
in place, consumers of that bootstrapper will not be able to seamlessly
integrate SQL Server Express Edition into their setups. Please consider
this a request to implement what should be a low-cost, low-risk feature
into the SQL Server installer.

Sincerely,
Jim Evans, Numara Software