Just to make my life easier, now that I corrected the mistake and
double-checked that I haven't committed component violation again, I am
back to having exactly the same problem.

Pyro doesn't find anything to put in a patch cab and running verbose log
doesn't reveal anything.
Even a nice tool like WiLogUtl doesn't see any error or reveals anything
unusual.

My patch application is a complete success as I can verify in ARP that
product version has changed!

However, none of the changed binary files were updated, despite my
changing the fourth version number in both exes and dlls. I guess this
was to be expected since msp's cab was empty as reported by Pyro.

At this point I am inclined to mistrust delta patching capabilities of
the tools and am back to the question in the title. I am open to all
suggestions on what else to try and what may have gone wrong :(

In the meantime, I will try old style patching with PatchWiz.dll.