From: zett42 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:08
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Upgrade problems when using directory as keypath

I'm using the scheme described at MSDN
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368269(VS.85).aspx) to organize
my setup into components.
Given a single directory, all files without version information (e.g. *.jpg,
etc.) are grouped together into a single component which has the directory
as its keypath (i. e. <Component KeyPath="yes" .../>).

First installation works as expected.
The problem arises when I try to upgrade the installed product by
re-installing a newer version (Minor Upgrade with REINSTALL="ALL"
REINSTALLMODE="vomus"). Sometimes the files in components, which have the
directory as keypath, won't be upgraded.
But adding files to the component always works.

So my question is: Is it wise to use directory keypathes at all? If not,
should I create one dummy file per directory which acts as the keypath for
non-versioned files? This idea doesn't look very clean.
But I would like to avoid choosing any of the real files as keypath, because
component rules say that in an upgrade, a keypath file can never be deleted
without deleting the whole component.