Rob Mensching-2 wrote:

> 1.  The Windows Installer evaluates the KeyPaths when deciding to repair
> existing installed Components.  If you use a Directory as the KeyPath then
> the Directory just has to exist for the Component to skip being repaired.
> There are lots of variables in this that can affect the behavior but the
> default would behave this way.

You are propably right (at least it makes sense). Though I would like to
understand why it _sometimes_ works. So far I was not able to reproduce the
behaviour intentionally.
It seems to work better in patches than in upgrades using the full package.

Bob Arnson-6 wrote:

> Unless you have several thousand files -- when perf really slows down --
> the easiest fix is to use one file per component.

We have roughly 9000 files (mainly content files like cliparts) in the
installer - and the slow performance / registry bloat was the main reason to
choose this component layout.
So I will propably resort to the workaround of having one extra "artificial"
keypath file per directory which we will modify if any file in the component
needs to be upgraded.