Okay, so after digging through the code, I noticed that when generating the
bootstrapper using the -mi option, setup.exe does something interesting:

if (pPackage->dwAttributes & SETUP_INSTALL_CHAIN_IGNORE_FAILURES)
{
   dwUiLevelPackage |= INSTALLUILEVEL_PROGRESSONLY; // don't throw any scary
error dialogs
}
My C++ is very rusty (haven't done any coding in it since 1998), but to me
it seems that removing this line should fix the problem I'm running into at
the moment. I did try a debug version of my modified EXE, but it keeps
exiting with: EXEC : error 0x80070002: Failed to CreateSetup.

Also, I haven't setup NANT yet, so I'm just trying to get the project to
build in VS2008

Thanks,
Jacques