From: Bruce Cran <br...@cran.org.uk>
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: chr...@deploymentengineering.com
Sent: Mon, August 30, 2010 8:02:45 AM
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Bootstrapping and Burn

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 05:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
Christopher Painter <chr...@deploymentengineering.com> wrote:

> If that's your main requirement then a self extracting ZIP would do
> the trick for you along with many other available tools.  Personally
> I think that then causes another problem of not caching the extracted
> MSI in a permanent location in case of repair / maint. operations.
> A bootstrapper / chainer does so much more then wrap up your MSI into
> an EXE.  In fact, if you aren't using any of these other capabilities
> the question then becomes 'why do you need a setup.exe anyways?
> just deploy the msi'.

I have been deploying just the MSI but I'm now working on a .NET
assembly so will need to bundle the .NET Framework 4.0 too.  I don't
like self-extracting ZIP files because I think having a proper
bootstrapper is a nicer solution since the user sees a single user
interface; it also allows you to do minor upgrades by containing the
logic to pass the correct flags to msiexec.

--
Bruce Cran