That's unfair to dotNetInstaller at least.

NSIS doesn't quote qualify as a bootstrapper in my book despite several nice
tutorials about how to use it as such. NSIS bundles bootstrapper
responsibilities together with the installer responsibilities and falls short
with anything beyond the relatively basic scenarios. You can squeeze more with
complex scripting, but it's just a glorified batch file, something you'll enjoy
only if your last assignment was programming a VAX. Try making sense of an NSIS
script written by a setup developer after a year or two of work!

InstallShield bootstrapper in the recent versions of InstallShield is actually
pretty good. I would feel major heartburn paying $ for a bootstrapper though,
given the quality and feature set of the free options (I really think there's
only one free option - dotNetInstaller, but I am bias being its maintainer and
funding most of its development).

We do all like the idea of Burn. It promises some nice features like a single
progress bar. But I wonder how much I'll really care when it's out -
"installation" is not a feature of my product just like "driving" is not a
feature of my car.

cheers
-dB.

dB. @ dblock.org