On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:31:34 -0700 (PDT)
Christopher Painter <chr...@deploymentengineering.com> wrote:

> Well said other then I don't agree that InstallShield is the reason
> people don't want to write installs.  ( Although this seems to be
> supported by tweats and blogs that I read. )  I just can't buy
> it based on my experience using the tool for the last 14 years.
> Maybe I'm just hard headed enough to look past the tools faults.

I used it for a while and found it to be awful. For a start it's
expensive enough that we could only buy a single copy - that ruled out
other developers creating their own installers, and eventually caused
us to abandon it in favour of Visual Studio 2003's Setup & Deployment
project. I did try and recommend WiX but the senior developers didn't
want to learn a new language just to write an installer.

The major problem I had with IS was that it didn't appear to be
flexible: we couldn't bootstrap .NET 2.0 for example because
InstallShield 10 was too old by that point - they wanted us to update
to 10.5 (spending another $1000) or start hacking around with the MSI
tables in an editor that looked like Orca.
Around that time there were also numerous problems with
InstallShield-based installers due to the InstallScript engine needing
to be bootstrapped. All that has left me with a continuing
negative impression of the product which I may at some point need to
re-evaluate.

--
Bruce Cran