From: Nick Ball <nick.b...@grantadesign.com>
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Fri, September 3, 2010 9:41:58 AM
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Bootstrapping and Burn

dB is right; it is a management problem.

I'm the lead developer for the product I'm involved in (BTW - for both
the software AND the installation). We used Wise for many, many years
until it got so creaky that I had to replace it - and WiX was the
obvious choice.

The problem I had is that management were very reluctant for me to spend
the time getting up to speed with WiX. Setup is just copying a few files
right? How hard can it be?!? In reality we have many different
configurations of the product, all of which must product a nice simple
setup.msi.

WiX is a great skill to have, particularly if you are producing any kind
of shrink-wrapped software. I suspect that the pain of doing anything
complicated in Installshield or Wise in the past has put developers well
and truly off writing installations. Even I refused to do it for a
couple of years - until WiX came along and changed that.

-Nick