Well I think I have figured out why the issue is occurring.

The call that is failing in the custom action is LoadUserProfile(). This
needs the SeBackupPrivilege which the windows installers service *does not*
have on a UAC-enabled system.

Some details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vistacompatteam/archive/2006/10/19/impact-of-least-privilege-in-system-services.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windows_installer_team/archive/2008/05/01/what-changed-in-windows-installer-4-5.aspx
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssecurity/thread/b9ea2a0e-5a0e-4e07-92e2-4c7e1f2c5496

Any advice or known workarounds are welcome. :)