Use MSI 4.5 - it got restored there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

Phil Wilson

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Clugston [mailto:clug...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:35 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Custom Actions & UAC

Well I think I have figured out why the issue is occurring.

The call that is failing in the custom action is LoadUserProfile(). This
needs the SeBackupPrivilege which the windows installers service *does not*
have on a UAC-enabled system.

Some details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vistacompatteam/archive/2006/10/19/impact-of-least-privilege-in-system-services.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windows_installer_team/archive/2008/05/01/what-changed-in-windows-installer-4-5.aspx
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssecurity/thread/b9ea2a0e-5a0e-4e07-92e2-4c7e1f2c5496

Any advice or known workarounds are welcome. :)

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Andy Clugston <clug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Users,
>
> I am working on a product that needs to support Windows 7 w/ UAC enabled.
> The MSI has a few custom actions that perform various configuration items
> that I would like to keep contained within the MSI/product install.
>
> The custom actions are Execute='deferred' with Impersonate='no' and they
> are scheduled Before='InstallFinalize'. One action is a vb script, and the
> other calls a native C/C++ dll. They *both* contain configuration items that
> require elevated privileges. Now, I have verified that the vb script action
> works fine, however the dll custom action does not. I am getting a
> permission error from the dll custom action when it runs.
>
> So, it appears to me that there is a difference in the two different types
> of custom actions, and how the user/system privileges are propagated from
> the msiexec process to these action processes. I've done some digging online
> (and will continue to) regarding the issue, but have not run across this
> particular case with the different action types acting differently.
>
> I am running the MSI on a Win7 x32 system with UAC using WiX 3.0.5419.
>
> As always, thanks for the help.

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached
files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys
Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and
Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X
7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within
the Invensys Group, please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail
recept...@invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject
to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).