Well, that makes sense then.  I had assumed that, but couldn't figure out why
my uninstall worked and dropped the database, but I believe using the same
username gave me "ownership" of that particular database, allowing me to
drop it.

I'm not much of a DB expert, I'm just currently investigating ways to
replace our current monolithic/ancient installation.  I guess this leaves me
with a few choices:

1.  Bootstrapper - This works well enough, and is how the current version
achieves the goal.  The issue is that repair won't not work properly(An
issue our current installer has).  From all the research I've done over the
past few weeks and my experience with MSI, it just seems like you're better
off avoiding the reliance of a bootstrapper.

2.  We generally install SQL express for the user(Although not always).
Apparenly 2005 has the command line option: ADDUSERASADMIN=1 which adds the
current user to the admin group.  This doesn't solve every case, but it does
fix most of them.  I assume I could write a custom action to alert the user
if they don't have privileges to the database.

3.  In this particular case the installation will only allow you to connect
to a database on the local machine, so I think it'd be preferable for the
custom action to run without impersonation.  In fact, changing the actions
by manually editing the msi causes the installation to execute without
error.  Is this possible using the wix sql extensions without manual editing
after the fact?

4.  I imagine you could write a custom action to grant the current user
rights to the database before the sql actions fire.  This is somewhat
equivalent to #3, but seems a bit hacky to me.

Most of my testing thus far has been on a single database(SQL 2005 Express)
and I imagine conditions could vary greatly depending on setup.  I'm just
trying to make things as fool proof as possible.