Bob Arnson-6 wrote:

> That's why the SQL custom actions run as the user, since generally the
> server's on another machine and you need a network id to get to the
> other machine (and many folks use Windows authentication on their
> databases).

After your first message I ended up writing a custom action that displayed
the user, the group, the rights, and if it was elevated or not and running
it immediate, deferred, and in system context just to make sure I understood
everything correctly.  Sometimes solving the problem is easier than
understanding it.  In this case I really wanted to make sure I did both.  I
believe I have a better grasp on the context of custom actions now.

Our old install chains SQL Express 2005, and was written pre-Vista support
for us.  The old SQL Express install only adds the Computer Administrators
group to sql admin group on install.  There's a command line option in sp3
and newer(I think) to add the installing user as well.  SQL 2008 Express and
newer add the local user as well I believe(Or at least the UI tries to).

I believe, going forward, I'll just use the command line option for SQL to
add the current user on new installs and try to write a custom action that
will give the current user the necessary rights(Since Local System is an
"Admin") for existing installations/upgrades.  I /think /I like that
approach better than switching the context of the custom actions.

Bob Arnson-6 wrote:

> It ties you to the bootstrapper and a lot of IT folks want/need to run
> MSI packages directly.

Definitely.  It also seems to allow you to get around some things you
probably don't actually want to side step.  For example, in my case
everything works fine with a bootstrapper until you try to repair from the
add/remove programs.  As my good friend says, "Don't fight the framework".
I don't know if that applies to anything more than it does msi/installation.