We recently implemented patch building using Torch/Pyro.  We are keeping the
old MSI and totally rebuilding a new one for Torch to diff with.  The
problem is that Torch sees all of our .NET assemblies as changed even though
the source code only changed in a few.  We did some digging and it turns out
that if we recompile an assembly with the same source code, the binary
result (DLL or EXE) is different from the first build.  Perhaps it's putting
a date stamp inside.  Our guess is that Torch is doing a binary comparison
and sees the file as changed.  We need a patch with only the few files who's
source code has changed.

So the question is, how do people handle this situation?  We could try to
change our build process so that we don't rebuild every project the second
time (let MSBuild pick just the changed ones), but then we won't get "clean"
builds and we won't detect circular references between assemblies
(developers sometimes accidentally do that).  We can limit the impact by
doing a non-clean build for only the patch.  This may be the only option,
but I wanted to get some opinions first.  Maybe there is something I'm
missing here.

Thanks for your input!

- John