That's a good thought, so I checked and verified that leaving the file's
version number the same between builds still produces different binary
files.

Unless we hear a better suggestion we're going to try this:  Each time we
build an assembly we will leave all the intermediate files in place (.pdb,
.cache, .resources, etc.... aka everything under the "obj" directory) and
we'll do "build" instead of "rebuild".  This will cause MSBuild will skip
assemblies that it detects haven't changed since the last build.  The
unchanged, previously-built assemblies will still be sitting in the output
location untouched from the previous build (we keep those too).  That way
when we construct our "after" MSI for Torch the untouched files will be
literal copies of the same files from the "before" MSI.  As long as MSBuild
does a good job of deciding which assemblies to rebuild we should be good.
We fully-sign our assemblies after they are built, so we might have to make
sure MSBuild is looking at pre-signed copies or it might rebuild them.

- John