From: John Cooper [mailto:jocoo...@jackhenry.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:34 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Patch building with Torch, all .NET assemblies
"changed"

When I was at SCX (Microsoft), we went so far as to investigate tools to
compare only the "code" parts of an assembly--but in the end, that proved too
cumbersome and unreliable, and so we just lived with the diff's between build.

At ESA-JHA, a significant number of assemblies are checked into source control
when they are updated using special, manual "promote" builds.  These assemblies
are thus not rebuilt except when they change--reducing the diff's in builds.
But, an all-up complete rebuild is also sacrificed by this technique.  There
are always compromises.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer - ESA