I am not calling Detect again. I will post the logs from the wixstdba and
the custom mba if you want.

Here's what is happening during an upgrade in the wixstdba:

Detect
Plan - Upgrade
Apply - Upgrade
ApplyComplete
Detect
Plan - Upgrade
Apply - Uninstall (Older bundle)
ApplyComplete

There are three logs that are generated during an upgrade: one for the
upgrading the new bundle and installing the msi package in the chain, one
for the msi package, and one for the uninstalling the previous bundle. In
this scenario I see the new bundle being installed, then I see the previous
bundle being removed. This removes the ARP entries which is expected.

The same sequence is evident in my custom mba. I am not calling Detect that
is being handled automatically by the engine, I am only calling Plan and
Apply in the same places where the Wix Installer calls them (this mba is
based on the Wix Installer). However, when it comes to uninstalling the
previous bundle it hangs at second call to Plan. This is causing the
multiple ARP entries because the uninstalling of the previous bundle never
finishes. My assumption is that the Wix Installer was not created to
support upgrades and I need to figure out the right way to handle this.

What I would like to understand is why does this take two Detect cycles?
Why isn't the new bundle and the previous bundle being upgraded/uninstalled
in the same Detect cycle? I am following the same process as the Wix
Installer.