I tried silently upgrading 19.0.1 on top of 18.3 with the following
code snippet:

<Upgrade Id="E8805AF3-CF50-4092-BE57-220A8C51E2AA">
  <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="yes" Minimum="19.0.1"
IncludeMinimum="no" Property="NEWERVERSIONDETECTED"/>
 <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="no" Maximum="19.0.1" IncludeMaximum="no"
Minimum="18.0.0" IncludeMinimum="yes"
Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED"/>
</Upgrade>
<!--    <MajorUpgrade Schedule="afterInstallInitialize"
AllowSameVersionUpgrades="yes"/>-->
<CustomActionRef Id="WixExitEarlyWithSuccess"/>

<InstallExecuteSequence>
  <RemoveExistingProducts After="InstallInitialize"/>

  <!-- These are our custom actions -->
  <Custom Action='PrepareForInstall' After='InstallInitialize'>NOT
Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
  <Custom Action='SetJavawPath' Before='InstallServices'>NOT Installed</Custom>
  <Custom Action="Upgrader" After="InstallHelperAction">NOT Installed</Custom>
</InstallExecuteSequence>

The log file has the following entries:

    Doing action: FindRelatedProducts
    Action start 12:01:15: FindRelatedProducts.
    PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED property. Its
value is '{4B43BAEB-553B-4FAD-9219-C55DA3492D89}'.
    Skipping action: WixExitEarlyWithSuccess (condition is false)
    Doing action: AppSearch
    FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
    AppSearch.
    Windows Installer installed the product. ... Product Version:
19.0.1. Product Language: 1033. .. Installation success or error
status: 0.

It looks like upgrade should have succeeded, but in reality 18.3 is
there and 19.0.1 is not.

I noticed that we have <MajorUpgrade> element commented out (see
above). Should it be uncommented? (Sorry I don't work with WIX a whole
lot).

Thanks,

Alec