From: Alec [mailto:alecs...@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 September 2012 04:30
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] UI upgrade succeeds, but silent upgrade fails

I tried silently upgrading 19.0.1 on top of 18.3 with the following code
snippet:

<Upgrade Id="E8805AF3-CF50-4092-BE57-220A8C51E2AA">
  <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="yes" Minimum="19.0.1"
IncludeMinimum="no" Property="NEWERVERSIONDETECTED"/>  <UpgradeVersion
OnlyDetect="no" Maximum="19.0.1" IncludeMaximum="no"
Minimum="18.0.0" IncludeMinimum="yes"
Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED"/>
</Upgrade>

<CustomActionRef Id="WixExitEarlyWithSuccess"/>

<InstallExecuteSequence>
  <RemoveExistingProducts After="InstallInitialize"/>

  <Custom Action='PrepareForInstall' After='InstallInitialize'>NOT Installed
AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
  <Custom Action='SetJavawPath' Before='InstallServices'>NOT
Installed</Custom>
  <Custom Action="Upgrader" After="InstallHelperAction">NOT
Installed</Custom> </InstallExecuteSequence>

The log file has the following entries:

    Doing action: FindRelatedProducts
    Action start 12:01:15: FindRelatedProducts.
    PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED property. Its value is
'{4B43BAEB-553B-4FAD-9219-C55DA3492D89}'.
    Skipping action: WixExitEarlyWithSuccess (condition is false)
    Doing action: AppSearch
    FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
    AppSearch.
    Windows Installer installed the product. ... Product Version:
19.0.1. Product Language: 1033. .. Installation success or error
status: 0.

It looks like upgrade should have succeeded, but in reality 18.3 is there and
19.0.1 is not.

I noticed that we have <MajorUpgrade> element commented out (see above).
Should it be uncommented? (Sorry I don't work with WIX a whole lot).

Thanks,

Alec

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.