That %VariableName syntax, I'm not familiar with that in WiX. It reminds me
of parameter values in a Windows shell script? Are you wanting to collect
the domain\username from the person who launches the installer? If that's
the case, if you wanted them to pass that in on the command line, you could
use the syntax:

msiexec /i myInstaller.msi DATABASE_USERNAME="thisdomain\Fred".

I don't /think/ it will complain about using a backslash in the value. You
would not need to declare the DATABASE_USERNAME in your WiX markup. Or add a
UI to the installer where the user can enter in that info via a text box
control. Or are you wanting to do something different?