From: Nick Ramirez [mailto:nickra...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:17 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] variables not working...

That %VariableName syntax, I'm not familiar with that in WiX. It reminds me of
parameter values in a Windows shell script? Are you wanting to collect the
domain\username from the person who launches the installer? If that's the case,
if you wanted them to pass that in on the command line, you could use the
syntax:

msiexec /i myInstaller.msi DATABASE_USERNAME="thisdomain\Fred".

I don't /think/ it will complain about using a backslash in the value. You
would not need to declare the DATABASE_USERNAME in your WiX markup. Or add a UI
to the installer where the user can enter in that info via a text box control.
Or are you wanting to do something different?

intended
information.
distribution