I don't mean to side-track Tim's question but to clarify I was (and I think
Tim is) running under Wix 3.7 and for me under Wix 3.7 on Windows 8 I never
saw it select one of my wxl languages without me using the -lang switch.
Neil said earlier that there was a bug in Wix 3.7 so I updated to Wix
3.8.722.

Earlier I posted that Wix 3.8 is detecting the language (without fully
testing all languages.  Here let me say again I am testing on Windows 8
Professional x64 and I find the Windows 8 GUI for setting languages more
confusing than my past experiences (so I am just saying this not to complain
but to report that I have been a little unclear on what Windows 8 is doing).

So even though with Wix 3.8 the bundle was selecting the language based on
my UserDefaultLanguageID, I verified this several times changing the User
Default between English and German.  I also verified that if -lang 1041 is
passed in Japanese is display regardless of the UserDefaultLanguageID.

Now here is a strange twist.  I was stepping though locutil.cpp and noticed
while I cannot see what is in langid after the call to GetUserDefaultLnagID
the next call creates a path to 1033\thm.wxl EVEN WHEN both the
UserDefaultLangID is German, the current display lang is German, and the
SystemDefault is German (1031).  The code then checks to see if the path is
valid.

Originally the check for a valid path would fail, because I did specify a
payload for 1033, and the code would get the SystemDefaultLangID, which is
1031 and display German.  Success, I thought, but not understanding what is
going on I thought I would make my project more "efficient by adding a 1033
payload.  So I made the change and recompiled.

Now the code looks for the 1033\thm.wxl path, finds it and uses it,
displaying English even if all OS settings are set to German.  So now I am
back to the same behavior as Wix 3.7 where it always displays English.

I have not had a chance to check this on other OS or with other languages
yet.  Nor have I tried to remove my 1033\thm.wxl payload and try to
reproduce the original behavior where it selected the German wxl, although I
am not entirely sure how.

"
    <BootstrapperApplicationRef
Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.HyperlinkLargeLicense" >

      <Payload Name="bafunctions.dll" Compressed="yes"
SourceFile="$(var.BAFuncBuildDir)\bafunctions.dll" />
      <Payload Name="Logo.png" SourceFile="Resources\logo.png" />

      <Payload Id="theme_de_de" Compressed="yes"  Name="1031\thm.wxl"
SourceFile="Resources\1031\QDthm_de_de.wxl"/>
      <Payload Id="theme_en_us" Compressed="yes"  Name="1033\thm.wxl"
SourceFile="Resources\1033\QDthm_en_us.wxl"/>
      <Payload Id="theme_es_es" Compressed="yes"  Name="1034\thm.wxl"
SourceFile="Resources\1034\QDthm_es_es.wxl"/>
      <Payload Id="theme_fr_fr" Compressed="yes"  Name="1036\thm.wxl"
SourceFile="Resources\1036\QDthm_fr_fr.wxl"/>
      <Payload Id="theme_it_it" Compressed="yes"  Name="1040\thm.wxl"
SourceFile="Resources\1040\QDthm_it_it.wxl"/>
      <Payload Id="theme_ja_jp" Compressed="yes"  Name="1041\thm.wxl"
SourceFile="Resources\1041\QDthm_ja_jp.wxl"/>
      <Payload Id="theme_zh_cn" Compressed="yes"  Name="2052\thm.wxl"
SourceFile="Resources\2052\QDthm_zh_cn.wxl"/>

    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>
    <?endif?>

    <WixVariable Id="WixStdbaLicenseUrl"
Value="http://www.rimage.com/legal.html"; />
    <WixVariable Id="WixStdbaThemeXml" Value="Resources\QDthm.xml" />
    <WixVariable Id="WixStdbaThemeWxl"
Value="Resources\1033\QDthm_en_us.wxl" />
"
"
Originally when the selection of the language appeared to work I had th
following, and did not have the above 1033\thm.wxl Payload element.
   <WixVariable Id="WixStdbaThemeWxl" Value="Resources\QDthm_en_us.wxl" />
"

And while this is not related to the above discussion, in my language files
I have strings like this.
  <String Id="CDDTransform">1031.mst</String>
  <String Id="QDTransfrom">:1031.mst</String>

Which get passed to the MsiPackage like this
<MsiProperty Name='TRANSFORMS' Value='!(loc.QDTransfrom)'/>

Sorry to pile on with so much info but there seems to be some implementation
related variations in the behavior.

Phill