From: Phill Hogland [mailto:phogl...@rimage.com]
Sent: 13 August 2013 21:39
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] [SPAM] Re: multi-language bundle - A BIG THANKS

OK I unravelled the Windows 8 configuration issue.  This test system I thought
was configured for German and English and I thought that I was setting both the
System Default and the User Default to 1031 for these tests.  I would change
the order of the list under Language Preferences (based on various Internet
statements to the effect that the top item in the list is the User Default).
Not true, well at least not always true.

On the Language Preferences dialog, click on the bottom item on the left panel,
'Change date, time or number formats' (and no clue that this is where you set
the User Default Language ID).  The top item in that dialog was set to 'Match
selected display language (recommended)'  So one can change that setting and
set a specific language (German) and then the call in burn does return 0x407,
rather than always English.

But why did ''Match selected display language (recommended)' not work?  Back to
the Language Preferences dialog and eventually I noticed that both the English
and German keyboard layouts were installed, but the German display language was
not installed.  So I installed it.

Now the behavior is that the Wix setup runs in the Language that is at the top
of the Display Language list, and not necessarily the language the user
currently has selected (as the Windows 8 "Match selected display language"
implies).

So to summarise, after moving to WiX 3.8, the UsersDefaultLanguageID does
control the displayed language of my bundle (if I do not use -lang ) AND on
Windows 8 a user might be confused, but the underlying API is returning the
Default so this does not appear to be a Wix behavioral issue.

With that said, I wonder if there is still a problem with the Wix 3.8
implementation (or documentation) for a project in which the WixStdbaThemeWxl
file is not located in a folder of 1033, and yet matches the UserDefaultLangID,
it fails to use that thm.wxl file.  Most examples that I have seem show adding
other languages in there own lcid\thm.wxl file, but they do not necessarily
make the point that the 'default' or English file also MUST be in a 1033
folder, for this code to make use of the file.