2013/10/26 Tunney, Stephen <stephen.tun...@nuance.com>:
> 2013/10/26 Nicolás Alvarez [nicolas.alva...@gmail.com]>:
>> 2013/10/26 Tunney, Stephen <stephen.tun...@nuance.com>:
>>> I get errors now in my pyro call stating that the PatchBaseline I've
>>> selected does not have any changes, but I know for a
>>> fact that I have made changes on purpose.  I've removed a file from a
>>> well-known component group.
>>
>> I think your problem is unrelated to pure-wix patching, component
>> groups, or multiple cabs; but related to the fact that you're removing
>> a file.
>>
>> But first: Component groups have components, not files. Did you remove
>> a file from a component, or did you remove a component from a
>> component group?
>
> file from a component.  Non keypath file.
> does this go back to the strong hints given to have a component per file? :)

Removing a component is just plain not allowed, you would need a major
upgrade for that.

For removing a file from a component, it seems it's possible, but
Blair said it's "not well supported", and you need to add an explicit
RemoveFile. Looking at MSDN documentation about minor updates:

"The update can add, remove, or modify the files, registry keys, or
shortcuts of components that are not shared by two or more features.
[...] If the update removes resources, it should also update the
RemoveFile and RemoveRegistry tables to remove any unused files,
registry keys, or shortcuts that have already been installed."

This applies even if you're creating a .msi minor upgrade instead of a
patch. The new .msi will be simply missing that file, but that doesn't
mean the file will be deleted when you install the update. Windows
Installer will just forget the file ever existed (I haven't tried, but
I suspect this also means that installing product + installing patch +
uninstalling product will leave the file orphaned). You need an entry
in the RemoveFile table to do the deletion. Major upgrades don't need
a RemoveFile because the existing product is fully uninstalled first.

--
Nicolás