Personally, I'd update the build to change the build number (3rd field).

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony [mailto:yellowjacketl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:41 AM
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Preventing 'v1.0.0.1' install when v1.0.0.0 is
present...

I was aware of the Windows Installer limitation, unfortunately, our daily
builds do not touch the first three parts of the version, so in our dev labs we
have to "remember" to uninstall first.  Most folks know this, but with several
new folks coming onboard and contractors helping here and there, we have been
burned a few times.  So, I was looking for something to prevent and/or "gently"
remind the installer that they shouldn't be doing the install.

Thanks for the idea Carter.  I was thinking about something similar, maybe
using RegLocator/CompLocator against a well-known regvalue/binary.
If found and **BOTH** WIX_UPGRADE_DETECTED and WIX_DOWNGRADE_DETECTED are
**NOT** set, I can assume a re-install is taking place and abort the install.

Thoughts?

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Rob Mensching <r...@robmensching.com> wrote:

> The Windows Installer chooses not to recognize the revision (the
> fourth build version) in major upgrades.

Tony